Wednesday, October 10, 2012

This Week!





So I am sorry to say but I do not have a lot of new photos to send to y’all this week. I haven’t seen anything really cool recently. The comp is also really slow at uploading them and sending them. But just so that you all have my mailing address I will send it again so that there is no confusion:


Elder William Shelton
Mission Brazil São Paulo North
Rua Dr. Rui Batista Pereira, 165
Jardim Caxingui
05517-080
São Paulo-SP
Brazil

There, now you all should have it. But this week was good. I had the strangest meal that I have yet eaten on my mission. We ate at a members’ house, which is in the middle of nowhere, and they live on a small farm. Needless to say they kill and eat their own animals here.... So we arrived to lunch late cause our bus broke down on the way back from our district meeting in Sorocaba and we also had to walk forever to get there. But when we got there she forgot that she had us for lunch today. So she quickly ran inside and heated up what they had for lunch. While we were waiting she pulled out a pan from the oven and told us we could snack on what was on the pan. Well the pan had a whole bunch of fried pieces of food. Which included a fried pigs tail (which she added they killed recently), fried pigs back (with the hair still in it) and some other fried delicacies including fried fish with TONS of bones still in it. It was interesting. She also fried us up some fresh duck eggs to eat with our rice and beans, which they had for lunch. Needless to say it was all rather interesting. But other than that this week was just a lot of walking. I find we spend more time walking and waiting for buses than actually teaching which is kind of annoying. Lunch is always out in the middle of nowhere and wastes about an hour to get there so we don’t start work till about 3 in the afternoon... But also we don’t have a lot of investigators and we are trying to work on changing that. We have to be selective on where we talk to people, because if we talk to people on the street in the center or on the bus more often than not they live really, really far away and it is not effective for our work to really visit these people cause we will spend a whole day going there and coming back. But all is well. I am still trying to figure out the best way to work here cause it is different from that in Osasco my last area.

But as you all know this last week was General Conference. It really was great getting to watch it and hear the words of the prophet and other leaders of the church (only 2 left till I can watch it on my sofa). But we watched it at the church building here in São Roque. I was able to watch it in English on the internet on the computer at the secretary’s office with my comp. I can understand English but it is really boring listening to a translator the whole time and it is not as powerful. The talk I especially liked was Jeffery R. Holland’s’ on how we can truly show our love for our Savior in feeding his sheep and loving everyone around us and sharing the gospel to those who do not know it. I also enjoyed Uchtdorfs on the Saturday morning session about how we need to just enjoy the ride and really love those that are around us. As we saw there were a lot of talks given about loving others and service and being true disciples of Christ. This really is something I am learning to be while on my mission. I am thankful for the chance I have to learn the things I am learning now, which I could not if I was not on a mission. I really am learning how to exercise my priesthood and how to really love and serve others. But the biggest news I liked about conference was the change of the age for missionaries. It was really cool to get to see this and really neat to see now that 19-year old women can now serve which is absolutely awesome! I am so excited for this and I know that the world will be more blessed for this. Sister missionaries really are huge blessings in the missionary work. There truly exist houses that only they can enter which if an elder tried entering would have been turned away.

But I hope you all have a good week this week in your lives. Know I am doing well and happy and excited for my birthday and when I get to talk to all of you in about two months! (12 weeks about). But I am doing all I can to Feed the Lords Sheep and keep on working despite the difficulties we are facing here in São Roque. But I know the church is true and that we have a prophet who leads and guides this church and that we have the true power of God here on earth. Continue being disciples of Christ in all times and places. I love you all so so much!

With Love,

Elder Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment