Thursday, January 17, 2013

One More Transfer Down!

12/17/2012
So this is the last p-day of the transfer and we are kind of worried I will be transferred. If I am not this means I will be here for two more cause my comp goes home next transfer so I will have to stay at least one more. I really do not want to leave, but I need to go where the Lord wants me and not complain. It is just a little hard when you get accustomed to a ward and the people and the area and then have to leave. Especially if you get accustomed to your comp. That is the worst part about transfers, who will be your next comp... I really hope that I get a good one if I am transferred. But all things have a reason. I just hope this does not mess with me calling home on Christmas cause we already got it all planned out here and good. This time my comp here and I did not mark any compromises this day so we should be able to talk for a while. That all depends on if I will be transferred or not.

Anyways this week was kind of a rough one. Things did not go exactly as we were hoping. I am really, really tired and my knees are starting to act up again. It was hot for the first half of the week but from Friday until now it has been nothing but nonstop rain, a lot of rain, a lot a lot of rain. Quite a few of the people we were working with are now falling through and some of the people we were wanting to work with we were not able to. We are also a little sad cause we had one investigator who is really good (her husband is cheating on her, I don’t know if I told you about her, if not I will tell you all on Christmas, her story is a crazy one) but we had an FHE and she brought a friend with her there who is about 24. This friend had her husband leave her so she is in about the same situation but they are both really, really good investigators and the members are being really, really helpful in supporting them and helping them. They really are easy baptisms. But the problem is that this friend ( her name is Bemilde, don’t worry it is strange even in Portuguese) is going on a vacation to visit her family for the next month.... So we wont get the opportunity to teach her till the middle of January, assuming I stay here. That is the one bad thing about transfers. You don’t know what will happen, all these investigators that you love and worry about suddenly are no longer your investigators. All of these people you have been working with are suddenly no longer there and you have to form new relationships with EVERYONE around you. But everything will be alright I am sure, I will just be sad to leave this area especially right now.

But I have decided that every week I should have a spiritual thought for y’all. This week comes from the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi Chapters 30-32 and what not. This first insert comes from 30. It is a prophecy as to the end of time and the millennium which will occur.

16 Wherefore, the things of aall nations shall be made known; yea, all things shall be made bknown unto the children of men.
17 There is nothing which is secret save it shall be arevealed; there is no work of darkness save it shall be made manifest in the light; and there is nothing which is sealed upon the earth save it shall be loosed.
18 Wherefore, all things which have been revealed unto the children of men shall at that aday be revealed; and Satan shall have power over the hearts of the children of men bno more, for a long time. And now, my beloved brethren, I make an end of my sayings.
What we can learn from this scripture is that if we really want to have power over Satan this comes with knowledge. The more light we have in us, the more truth we have in us and the more power we have to overcome Satan. Remember that our Heavenly Father does not work in secret or darkness. He shows all things. Satan is the only person that will work in secret and in darkness and cause us to make our own secrets and secret combinations. Therefore scripture study is detrimental to our salvation. In 2Nephi 31 we read:
17 Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and abaptism by water; and then cometh a bremissionof your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.
18 And then are ye in this astrait and narrow bpath which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which cwitnesses of the dFather and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.
19 And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow apath, I would ask if all is bdone? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken cfaith in him, drelying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to esave.
20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a asteadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of bhope, and a clove of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and dendure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eeternal life.
In this second scripture note that we must first have faith in Christ and come unto repentance and be baptized. Baptism really is the first step. It is not the end. We often have many investigators, which try and avoid baptism saying that they need to study more, they need to have more understanding before they can be baptized, but really as we see with this scripture we need to first seek faith and repentance and be baptized and choose to follow Christ. However to remain firm in the faith we need to have our scripture study. Scripture study really is the food to our soul. 2 Nephi 31 states:

2 Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye hadareceived the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the btongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost?
3 aAngels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, bfeast upon the cwords of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will dtell you all things what ye should do.
Notice that it says AFTER receiving the Holy Ghost we can talk in the tongues of angles which is scripture. I have a firm testimony that it truly is through the scriptures that we can find answers to all our problems. I know that by reading and studying the scriptures daily will give us the power we need to overcome Satan. We will find all the answers to all of our questions we have for God does not work in secret and all things will be revealed unto us if we search. As we search in prayer and with true desire our faith in Christ will grow. We will have a true desire to follow Him and remain repentant of our sins. I know these things are true, I know that God lives and is our loving Father in Heaven. I know that we all have the tools and abilities to overcome sin as well as a promise from God that He will be by our side at all times if we but keep His commandments, those that have gone through the temple have a greater promise still. Never forget who you are, never forget we are beloved children of our Father in Heaven. Never forget or not desire to study the scriptures for they truly are the words of God, and do we not want to hear Him speak? This is my message and testimony I leave with you all in the name of Jesus Christ whom I represent here on earth, Amen.

I love you all so much. I hope you all have a good week this week and do all you can to grow in the gospel and remember the covenants we all have made. I love y’all I will let y’all know if something happens this week with the transfer.
With love,
Elder William Robert Shelton

P.s. Yeah I don’t know why the pictures are in a weird order....



No comments:

Post a Comment